Q)calculate the maximum stress induced in a cast iron pipe of external diameter 40 mm, internal diameter 20 mm and length 4 m when the pipe is supported at its ends and carries a point load of 80 n at the centre.

 Q)calculate the maximum stress induced in a cast iron pipe of external diameter 40 mm, internal diameter 20 mm and length 4 m when the pipe is supported at its ends and carries a point load of 80 n at the centre.

Given, external diameter D = 40 mm.

internal diameter d = 20 mm.

length of pipe l = 4000 mm

centre point load p (80N)

1) moment of inertia for hollow circular section 

I=π/64 (D4-d4)

I = π/64 (40^4 -20^4)

I = π/64 (2560000 - 160000)

I = π/64 * (2400000)

I = π * 2400000/64

= 117809.724 mm4

2) Maximum bending moment for simply supported beam with central point load

M=PL/4

80*4000/4

=8000n/mm

3) Distance from neutral axis to outer fibre (C)

C=D/2

40/2

20 mm

4) Maximum bending stress

σ = MC/I

= 80000*20/117809.7

= 1600000/117809.7 

= 13.58kn/mm2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Negative skin friction and how it works.

what is torque and torsion? what is the difference between torque and torsion?

Difference between pre tensioning and post tensioning